Streetwork SW
Civils, Groundwork, Hard & Soft Landscaping

County Council Dropped Access Kerbing
Fencing/Artificial Grass
Retaining Walls/Resin Surfacing
General Building & Landscaping 

Based in Yeovil, Somerset, STREETWORK SW are ideally situated to offer our customers dropped access kerbing and driveway installation services throughout the South West of England.  By choosing us, you will be guided through the County Council application process from start to finish at a competitive price.

In general, a typical dropped access across a 1 metre public footpath onto your property consists of: 4 dropped kerbs with a taper kerb at each end to meet the existing kerb line. Reinstatement to provide an even slope from the back of the footpath down to the carriageway, all to the relevant local authority specification. If the proposed driveway slopes toward the carriageway, adequate drainage must be installed across the full width of the access to prevent rainwater spilling onto the carriageway. Full specifications vary slightly between individual councils but in general, STREETWORK SW price would be from £1075.00 (drainage extra).

The Application Process

Step 1

Find Your Council

First you must contact your local Planning Services. Usually, access onto an unclassified road will be granted but it is always best to be sure.

  • Once you have received written confirmation from Planning Services you can proceed with your application to drop the kerb.
  • Complete the relevant local authority licence application form. You will need your chosen contractor details to complete this process. Streetwork SW can provide the form already completed with our details. All you need do is sign.
  • Send the completed application to the address stated at the top of the form.  There is an administration fee for this which varies between authorities.
  • As the application is progressed a Council Highway Inspector will undertake a site visit to determine if your application is suitable to be approved. Any difficulties with the access/egress of vehicles or obstacles e.g. a telegraph pole, will be noted at this point and you may be contacted by the Inspector.
  • The Council also contacts local utility companies to determine the location of buried utility apparatus which could be affected by the work.
  • You will receive written notification as to whether your application is successful.  You must not proceed with the work until you have received this.
  • If your application to drop the kerb is approved you will need to arrange to have the work done by a NRSWA accredited contractor. This work is done at your cost.
  • The contractor will then send a completion notice to the authority who will then visit the site to ensure the work is done to their required standard and return to you an acceptance notice.

  • NB. If a footway crossing is built without first being granted permission by the Council a retrospective application must be made. This will cost an administration fee and if this application is rejected the footway must be returned to its original condition at the cost of the applicant.